The word “progestin” is so similar to the name of the natural hormone “progesterone” in all our bodies. This can make things quite confusing. For both patients and doctors. Progestins, or “synthetic progesterone,” were used commonly for years until studies started to show how bad they are for the human body. They just don’t reproduce the same actions of natural progesterone.
The most commonly used progestin in women for years was “Provera.” But there are many, many more progestin medicines used out there as well. And, unfortunately, some of them are still being used despite all we know about how bad they are for the human body. And, unfortunately, how good we know the real progesterone is for the human body.
The most common progestin I still see used today with women is in a combination of oral product that includes the natural estrogen estradiol. But remember, estradiol should never be taken by mouth. So this product is bad in so many ways.
Progestins will stay in the body, creating their ill effects, for 6 months after someone stops taking them!
So, what are the SIDE EFFECTS of progestins?
- Increased appetite.
- Weight gain.
- Fluid retention. Think swelling.
- Decreased energy.
- Breast tenderness.
- Decreased sexual interest.
- Hair loss.
- Interferes with the bodies own production of progesterone.
- It does not help balance estrogen.
- Remains in the body longer.
- It can cause spasms of coronary arteries. Think the arteries that supply blood to the heart. They can’t give the heart blood and oxygen if they are spasming.
- Stop the protective effects estrogen has on the heart.
- May make the symptoms of progesterone loss worse.
- Increases the “bad cholesterol” LDL.
- Decreases the “good cholesterol” HDL.
- Counteracts many of the positive effects of estrogen on serotonin. Think serotonin “the feel-good neurotransmitter.”
So, what natural progesterone effects are not seen with progestins?
- It helps balance estrogen.
- Leaves the body quickly.
- Improves sleep.
- Natural calming effect.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- It helps the body eliminate fats.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Increases scalp hair.
- Increases the beneficial effect of estrogen on blood vessels.
- Natural antidepressant.
- Natural diuretic. Think getting rid of that extra fluid.
- Is anti-inflammatory.
- Stimulates the production of new bone.
- Enhances the action of thyroid hormones.
- Improves sex drive.
- It helps restore proper cell oxygen levels.
- It is neuroprotective, promoting myelination. Think improving the insulation that surrounds nerves so they can work better. Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that involves the loss of this insulation for example.
- Natural progesterone has been shown to decrease the risk of developing breast cancer.
I hope this clears up a lot of the confusion surrounding the use of natural progesterone compared with the synthetic progestins.
“Got a revolution. Got to revolution.”
Join Dr. B’s Private Facebook Group
Click here to join and connect with others looking to recover their health. Soon we’ll be starting an “Ask Dr. B” segment where Facebook Group members can submit their questions and Dr. B will respond by video. Join today!
Related Recommended Supplements by Dr. B:
To help clear toxic hormones and other toxins from the body, we want to optimize our detoxification pathways. Starting with methyl Plex B and then 2 weeks later adding DIM Estro, can be a great combo. Also, consider adding Fiber Factors to bind up the toxins dumped into the intestines from your detox pathways. Many people will tend to reactivate and reabsorb these toxins back into the bloodstream from the gut rather than put them in the toilet where they belong. The fibers in Fiber Factors will bind up the toxins and hold onto them and prevent the reabsorption.
Many people take vitamins and nutrients to support their health, but are you taking the rights ones to specifically target your health needs? NuMedica Methyl-Plex B provides support for the cardiovascular system as well as other systems throughout your body. With its ability to enhance methylation, an essential metabolic process that occurs in all of our cells, this nutritional supplement with its B vitamins may help you ward off conditions like stroke, diabetes, osteoporosis, some cancers, dementia, and even mood disorders. Because NuMedica is a pioneering leader of the natural and nutritional supplement industry, you can rely on their products, which are known for safety and effectiveness.
Fiber Factors™ is an easy mixing, certified organic formula for the relief of occasional constipation, promotion of bowel regularity and the maintenance of healthy intestinal function.* Fiber has also been shown to help maintain cholesterol levels within the normal range and support heart health.
NuMedica DIM Estro supports healthy metabolism of estrogen for women and men. Although estrogen is produced naturally in the body, an excess of estrogen, as well as environmental toxins that mimic estrogen, is linked to health problems like an increased risk of certain cancers. Effective metabolism of estrogen, therefore, is essential for the health and well-being of your body. NuMedica DIM Estro boosts the body’s ability to naturally eliminate excess estrogen from the body efficiently.
Note: Due to supplement manufacturer requirements, login is required to see product details.